The Nexus studio lies at the heart of our productions. It provides the artistic and technical support to realise the vision of our directing talent and craft beautifully executed ideas.
The studio is led by a team of technical directors, animators, designers,coders and artists backed by an animation and VFX pipeline capable of producing multiple high-end 3D projects. It also provides the creative and logistical support to our live-action and stop frame productions.
Our in-house capabilities include: script writing, concept art, character design, pre-viz, 3D animation, stop frame, 2D animation, compositing, CG effects, motion graphics, software development, and stereoscopic delivery. The studio also houses the interactive arts team complementing our filmmaking skill-sets with fast and efficient pipelines for creative development in C++, HTML5, Unity, Android, IOS and other technologies that have a different visual or interactive requirement.
Based in London's Shoreditch district, the 150-seat studio lies in the middle of London's creative and tech hub, giving it access to an amazing community of leading artists and innovative coders.
We're always looking for talented designers, 3D and 2D artists, technical staff, interactive programmers and production people to join us. Browse the openings below and let us know if you'd like to be considered for a position.
We are looking for a full-time CG Lead to join our busy studio in Shoreditch. Our award-winning, diverse studio is a hotbed for some of the best talent in the industry, covering every discipline from hand-drawn 2d through to high-end VFX and now also includes our rapidly growing VR studio.
The CG lead will oversee the teams at a project level, providing technical and artistic leadership and managing the day-to-day production needs. The Lead will have the ability to participate as a leader and hands-on contributor through all stages of post-production.
The ideal candidate will have a broad background creating different kinds of content as well as experience of leading teams of CG artists of various levels through the production.
· Managing and leading teams to create 3D and 2D content for a variety of styles and projects on schedule and budget.
· Quality controlling output by the team on assigned tasks in line with budget requirements.
· Forging a strong dialogue with Directors and actively providing creative/technical solutions to production/creative challenges.
· Working closely with other leads and technical directors to identify process improvements/tools to increase department productivity.
· Liaising where necessary with clients and 3rd party contractors.
· Working with studio management to create estimates for studio budgets and assemble teams of freelance crew for each project.
· Working with production management to provide task breakdowns and help drive the team to meet schedule and budget.
· Working closely with the project management team as well as collaborating with department heads to improve efficiencies to studio processes and workflow as a whole.
· Willing to attend and/or supervise live action shoots (project dependent) which may involve international travel.
· At least 5 years experience in a studio at senior level.
· Advanced knowledge of 3Ds Max is essential with knowledge of Maya a bonus.
· An interest in advancing technologies including AR, VR and realtime rendering.
· Strong leadership qualities with a desire to confidently lead, motivate, develop and supervise a team.
· Great communication skills and confidence communicating with others at all levels of the company.
· Good working knowledge of lighting, rendering, VFX and compositing.
· Familiarity with technical/pipeline issues and a typical animation production environment.
· Self-motivated problem solver.
· Fluent English (spoken and written).
To apply, please send your CV and reel along with a bit about yourself to email@example.com with CG LEAD as the subject header.
Nexus is looking for an Assistant Studio Manager to join our team.
The studio is a busy and thriving creative hub, servicing all departments within the Nexus family, including Nexus Productions, Interactive Arts, Original Content and VR.
This is a unique opportunity to work with some of the most talented people in the industry, acting as a crucial connection between production, directors and artists.
- Scheduling projects within the studio
- Managing permanent and freelance artists (including negotiating contracts)
- Curating/recruiting talent within 2D, 3D, VFX and Stop-Motion disciplines
- Co-ordinating artists’ software and equipment needs
- Helping to build relationships with schools and universities internationally to nurture young animation and illustration talent
- Co-ordinating innovative R&D projects to help further the technological capabilities of the studio
The ideal candidate will:
- be meticulous and very well organised
- ideally have some experience/knowledge of animation
- be friendly and approachable with excellent people skills
- have a willingness to be involved in a fun, creative environment
This is a full-time, permanent contract starting asap.
For consideration please email your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading ‘Assistant Studio Manager’.
The Pipeline Technical Director is responsible for improving the overall efficiency of the production pipeline. They design, implement, and manage tools that assist the digital artists with their daily use of both third party and inhouse software and systems. These tools are intended to make the CG & 2D production as efficient and productive as possible and to develop the pipeline in response to the varied projects in production. The Pipeline TD will work with the 3D supervisors to craft new tools, techniques, and procedures to aid the execution of the current projects and advance the capabilities of the studio as a whole. The role requires strong technical and communication skills, as well as a firm understanding of software design, graphics, and production workflow.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Work with other Supervisors and all artists to help design and create tools
for each discipline to be integrated into the existing pipeline & to troubleshoot & fix problems.
• Directly support the artists to resolve technical problems, process queries and suggest alternative workflows to increase productivity.
• Work with department representatives to augment their work flows and tool sets to achieve specific goals of the project.
• Craft and update documentation for tools, techniques and work flows.
• Complete tasks within the time frame given by the production and be able to self initiate longer term projects.
• Maintain a good team dynamic
• Train other users to use the developed tools
• 3+ years experience in Animation, Feature Films, Games or other
• Core Skills:
• Advanced Maxscript Knowledge
• Python (Including PyQt/PySide)
• Sound understanding of the entire 3D production process, with a specialism in either Rigging,
• Animation or Lighting.
• Working experience with one or more professional graphics packages, including 3dsMax,
• Maya, Houdini, and Nuke.
• Desirable Skills:
• Maya (Mel/Python)
• VR/Unity, specifically game asset creation
• Solid understanding of command line processing
• Shotgun (including Toolkit API)
• Deadline API
• Version Control (Git)
If you are interested in this position please send your resume and demo reel (if applicable) by
email to: email@example.com
Nexus makes award-winning film and interactive media. Be it hand-made or high-tech, we bring together a roster of globally acclaimed directors, production capabilities and technology to create engaging stories and experiences.
An integral part of this is our busy in-house studio, driven by some of the industry’s most talented 2D and 3D artists.
The Maya Pipeline Technical Director is a newly created position to help us efficiently solve the different challenges we’re facing, coordinate the pipeline between departments and build technical experience within the studio.
This is a great opportunity for somebody seeking a technical decision-making position while still working on a variety shots and influencing the aesthetic look of the show. We’re looking for somebody who is experienced, motivated, curious and has initiative.
Minimum 2-5 Years experience of Maya pipeline development in a production studio, specialise in Rigging and Animation
Developing our Maya pipeline and integrating into existing software pipeline.
Advise producers and supervisors on appropriate technical procedures.
Maintaining & developing asset management & publishing tools.
Liaising with studio departments for workflow problems and requests.
Manage requests from departments and advise on workflows, creating your own tools and helping other TDs with making and using them.
In depth technical knowledge of Autodesk Maya.
Rounded knowledge of all departments’ requirements - in particular rigging and animation.
Python / PyMel.
An advanced understanding of Maya deployment in a studio setting.
Ability to manage personal workload along with advising and liaising with other members of the TD team.
Confident problem solver.
Proactive approach to researching and adopting new tools.
Fluent English (spoken and written).
Excellent communication skills.
Bonus (Preferable) Skills:
Shotgun or similar asset management system.
Render farm software (Deadline or similar)
C++ compiling experience, (for extension / plugin release building).
Tool writing for Nuke and Maya.
Start Date:Early 2016
Apply here:firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject MAYA PIPELINE TD
Application Deadline: 27th May
Nexus is looking for a motivated and organised Animation Production Manager to join its London studio. They will be working as part of a busy, close-knit production team, co-ordinating all types of animation with opportunities to also work on live action and mixed media projects.
Working closely with the Producers, Studio Manager and animation teams, the Production Manager ensures that projects are on schedule and meeting all production deadlines. They are a key team member, communicating between all parties to ensure smooth running productions.
Required Skills & Experience
- - Minimum 2 years experience in a production company and/or extensive knowledge of animation.
- - Good understanding of the CG animation pipeline and knowledge of other animation pipelines (2D, stop frame, etc).
- - Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, InDesign, Keynote, F-Track and Shotgun (desirable), and any other similar software that is necessary for the role.
- - Good communication and presentation skills.
- - Team player with attention to detail and an ability to prioritise.
The ideal candidate will be personable and organised, with the ability to remain calm in busy situations, an interest in all aspects of production and the desire to build a career in the industry.
Please send covering letter and CV to email@example.com, with your name and Production Manager in the subject line.
We are currently recruiting for the role of Compositing Supervisor. This is a full-time position and will be based at our busy studio in Shoreditch.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be hands-on, supervising compositing work across all jobs within the studio.
- Provide technical guidance and training to those in the team.
- Brief compositors and provide constructive feedback to ensure consistency.
- Manage production workflow and pipeline.
- Take ownership and be responsible for the team and quality of the work.
- Have a strong understanding of CG and live action integration within 2D workflow.
- Understand colour pipeline management (luts, neutral grades, DI, etc.).
- Have solid on-set supervision experience.
- Have the ability to provide creative and artistic solutions to compositing challenges.
- Be experienced in project management, balancing quality with time constraints.
- Have strong technical knowledge of both Nuke and After Effects.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your details and a link to your showreel, with the subject heading 'COMPOSITING SUPERVISOR'.
Nexus Productions has recently embarked on an exciting short film project with one of our award-winning live action directors. We are now looking for a superstar Nuke compositor to compliment our small but extremely driven team.
If you're looking for a project on which to make your mark and have the drive to lead a small but dedicated comp team then we want to talk to you.
The ideal candidate will have solid live action/VFX experience either in features or TV. This is a fantastic opportunity to really get stuck in to a genuine creative challenge which is already yielding amazing results! As well as working with a visionary director you'll be working alongside an experienced team of very talented CG artists on beautiful footage featuring a compelling cast.
The VFX will largely involve full body and face replacement. The project will be based at our busy but friendly studio in Shoreditch.
This is a paid role but rates are to be negotiated.
Must be available from 22nd September or thereabouts.
For consideration please email email@example.com with the subject title THE SPACE COMPOSITING